What are the benefits of regular activity?
- Improved – heart efficiency, joint stability, core strength, balance, coordination and agility
- Increased HDL and decreased LDL cholesterol
- Increased muscle mass and decreased body fat
- Increased muscular strength and resting metabolism
- Reduced risk of premature death, risk of cardiovascular disease, risk of developing diabetes, risk of stroke, depression and anxiety.
How can I avoid injury?
As a canfitpro Personal Trainer, Gail will develop an educated, effective program specific to your current health status and your own capabilities.
Will I have to diet?
As a canfitpro Personal Trainer, Gail will assist you with your weight loss goals by offering general nutritional advice and information based on Canada’s Food Guide, teaching you about correct portion sizes, discussing healthy food choices, teaching you how to read ingredient lists and food labels and encouraging you to consume calories evenly throughout the day. Gail does not believe in “diets” and will only promote healthy lifestyle changes.
I’ve never exercised before. Where do I start?
As a canfitpro Personal Trainer, Gail will develop an educated, effective program specific to your current health status and your own capabilities and will demystify the overwhelming world of exercise.
Am I too frail or too old?
Absolutely not! Increased activity is important at any age.
- helps you look and feel younger and stay active longer.
- lowers your risk for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer’s and dementia, heart disease, diabetes, some cancers, high blood pressure and obesity.
- prevents loss of bone mass and improves balance, reducing your risk of falling.
- Helps you maintain or lose weight.
- Improves your sleep. Poor sleep is not an automatic consequence of aging and quality sleep is important for your overall health.
- Inactivity often leads to more hospitalizations, doctor visits and use of medicines for illness.
Do I need lots of exercise equipment?
Absolutely not! Getting more active can be done in any home and we’ll use what you have on hand. Alternatively, the exercise studio at Fitness after 50 has all the equipment we need.
Where do the sessions take place?
Sessions can take place in your home, in the Fitness after 50 studio or outdoors (weather permitting). Gail is a big fan of getting outdoors and loves to utilize the beautiful trails and parks throughout Guelph.
Is this for woman only?
Absolutely not! Being more active is important for both men and woman and in fact, if you and your partner want to get more active together, Gail has special “partner” pricing that you can take advantage of.
Do I have to be over 50?
Absolutely not! Though my specialty is working with my peers and you might not like my choice of music, my canfitpro certification empowers me to design programs for any age group
Do I have to get permission from my doctor before I begin working with Fitness after 50?
The short answer is Maybe. If you answer “YES” to one of the following questions or if you are over 69 years old you need to have your doctor complete the PARmed-X form and here’s the link to the form. http://www.csep.ca/cmfiles/publications/parq/parmed-x.pdf
The 7 questions are:
1. Has your doctor every said that you have a heart condition and that you should only do physical activity recommended by a doctor?
2. Do you feel pain in your chest when you do physical activity?
3. In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
4. Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?
5. Do you have a bone or joint problem (for example, back, knee or hip) that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
6. Is your doctor currently prescribing drugs (for example, water pills) for your blood pressure or heart condition?
7. Do you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity?
If you answer “YES” to one or more of these questions, or if you are over 69 years old, then you should have your doctor complete the PARmed-X form so that I can design a safe, effective, personal activity program for you.